Summer Reading
What are you Reading? I love it when someone asks me that. The Times Book Review has a column that asks what's on your night table? Does everybody read in bed? If I have a good book I can't wait to say good-night. But as reading and writing has made me focus on language an abyss of bad grammar has opened before me and I cry out in anguish. Will I ever become inured to hearing Ivy League graduates on NPR saying, "Him and Me are gonna..." and "Please reach out to John or I?" Terry Gross never corrects anyone's grammar and I respect that, it's not a good interviewing technique, but where are the mothers and teachers? How has it come to this? And another thing! The misplaced modifier! In a biography of Willa Cather I read, "At the age of eight, school began to bore Willa." Really? School was eight years old? Miss Cather is rolling over in her grave. And this, from Elle Decor; "As a young girl, her father affectionatel...

Comments
Post a Comment