Barbara of the Day; Barbara Lubliner

Allow me to introduce my friend and fellow Barbara, 

Barbara Lubliner

She has an opening this evening at Carter Burden Gallery, 548 West 28th Street, 5-8pm



in her words:

This 5-part piece is based on Tibetan Buddhist prayer flags. It is made of upcycled plastic slide sleeve pages, various paper scraps, and paint chips. Transforming these castoffs into art underscores the power and possibility of transformation. Each flag is 43 x 26 inches.

As I made the flags, I imbued them with positive feelings, meditating on loving kindness and wishing good will out into the world. They are meant to spread peace, happiness, and good fortune to all. 


I'm going-I hope to see you there too!

Here's what Barbara has to say about being Barbara of the Day;

How many Barbaras do you know? When my son was little, he told me he knew three Barbaras. Mommy Barbara, Barbara the babysitter, and Nick the Barbara. My son had just come back from a fun time sitting on his dad's lap getting his first haircut at the barbershop.

Words are tricky. It is not easy to distinguish, categorize, and understand the language of words. Conveying nuances and shades of meaning and complex ideas is challenging. As a visual artist I have always felt that words are my second language. My first language is pictures. I often find images the best way to express myself. 

The story of Saint Barbara, my namesake, advocates for free self-expression and autonomy. In that spirit I am happy to share pictures of my artworks that speak for me. 

I would love to know if they speak to you! You can let me know here 

https://www.barbaralubliner.com/contact


 


Ms. Muscle, my performance persona, photo by Pauline Galiano



Folio   2020, from my Flower Lips (v) series

paper, paint, thread

11 1/4 x 11 1/4 x 1 inches


Third Eye Exam stickers used by 
Art Nurse Barbara when she gives Third Eye Exams


Performing Head to Toe Hugging as Art Nurse Barbara,
 part of the Day de Dada Performance Art Collective


Whirlpool   2021, from my Sea Life monoprints

monoprint on white BFK Rives printmaking paper

19 x 26 inches

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Keeping' on the Sunny Side

Oh, Russell

Summer Reading