Signs of Spring!

Pitchers and Catchers report for Spring Training!


The daffodil bulbs I planted last fall are popping up! 



I really hope they're not  putting themselves in danger of freezing in a late frost but we appear to be having an early spring, which brings its own worries.

There's always something to celebrate and always something to worry about. I choose to celebrate without loosing my attachment to reality. This is a good reminder.


This week I really must take down the Christmas tree. We haven't had our Christmas party since covid struck and this year I caught it at Thanksgiving time so we had very quiet celebrations.  Even so I did the full decorations and feel sad that no one got to see it.  So here it is.  



I kept it up for Valentines Day and Arthur's birthday but I guess this is it. It really doesn't work for Easter. 

I'll have to take time out from Queen Elizabeth the First, which I showed you last week.


The next phase; I started the frame and the patterns of her dress. I love that part--I can just draw without worrying about the draftsmanship but I have to be careful--I'm running into danger here.  I could get carried away doing all the  pattern and background and then find that the face is no good and then I'd have wasted a lot of work.


So next I have to draw her face, which makes me anxious. Better to jump in and get it done, 

Here she is. 



Here's the next phase;



I've sketched in a pelican here, because the piece I'm working from is titled The Pelican Portrait.  The Pelican was known as a symbol of self-sacrifice and the Queen is wearing this brooch 

which doesn't look enough like a pelican for me. So I'm giving her a live one, sitting on her thumb.


I think you can see the Pelican now.

I've been working all afternoon and now I have to go make dinner so this is the last shot.


I couldn't find a design for an Elizabethan frame that I liked so I made one up.   
I think I'll be finished with this by next week-maybe tomorrow! I haven't worked this fast in years and I'm already thinking of the next one.  Another Pelican and Queen maybe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Keeping' on the Sunny Side

Oh, Russell

Summer Reading