Cut and Paste: Fun with Robert Mitchum

Has this ever happened to you?  You're looking for something, something important to you.  You know it has to be somewhere but where?  At last, it turns up and you realize that you had put it away carefully but then forgot.  You're happy to have it back but wonder what's happened to your brain.

My precious objects that were lost and then found are books of collage.

Collage is another side of my work. After hours of painstakingly making tiny dots or crosshatches with a fine pen it's a joy to just let 'er rip, and I do mean rip.  Tearing through magazines and newspapers, looking through the mail for interesting brochures, I let loose.  I put things together for no other reason than that I feel like it. It's fun, it's freeing, and it inspires me to push myself in my drawings.

Here's a series I did with Robert Mitchum as my subject.  I always thought he was very sexy---and a little scary, which may be what made him sexy. He walked like a big cat.
I loved this shot of him so much I made a bunch of copies and went to town.


Here he is with Degas's little dancer and a perfume bottle.  I like to play with scale.



Look at the way the shepherd on the left is looking at him.


In the midst of Rousseau's jungle with Rodin's Thinker.


Two Mitchums and a cow.


With the Princesse de Brolige by Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres.  Nice dress, huh?


Truly a man outstanding in his field.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh, Russell

Come See a Great Show

June 30 Bad News and Good News