Good Morning! I am writing this post on Wednesday because I know that this Thursday, my usual day for writing my blog, I will be otherwise engaged. I hope you had a lovely day with friends and family, and found ample reason to give thanks. And now the rush is on. I remember when the days between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve stretched on forever and now they fly by. That reminds me of a line from that song from Gigi; Maurice Chevalier sings, "Am I getting older?" And Hermione Gingold responds, "Oh, no, not you!" I'm probably dating myself just by mentioning that movie. Last month when we celebrated the life of our friend, Betty Van Zandt, I told this story to her many loving friends and family. We were at a party when Betty said to my husband, "Arthur, do you know of an escort service in San Francisco?" Arthur replied, "Uh, Betty...? What's going on?" She explained, "my daughter, Karen, is getting married in San Francisco an...
Popular posts from this blog
Come See a Great Show
I'm sad to report that this Sunday, November 19, is the last day to view "The Seed," on view in the Great Hall Gallery at First Presbyterian Church, 12 West 12th Street at Fifth Avenue in New York City. The inspiration comes from a quote from Albert Camus; “One’s work is nothing but the long journey through life to recover, through the detours of art, the one or two great and simple images that first gained access to one’s heart .” I first heard that quote in a speech the great Robert Beverly Hale gave at an Art Students League dinner in __1975. It has stayed with me since then, inspiring me to reflect on the roots of my inspiration, and helping to clarify my thoughts about my work. Turns out I'm not the only one it resonated with. My friend Fran Beallor and I talked about it now and then as we pursued our separate practices in isolation. Under the pandemic we found new ways to reach out, learning various ways of communicating and finally we said, "Let's d...
Walking Further on My Street
Last year I wrote about my neighborhood and this sign at 254 West 12th. It says, “If we all do one random act of kindness daily we might just turn things around.” Martin Kornfeld. A few weeks ago I noticed a new addition; The new one says, "You don't have to love just don't hate." I think that's setting the bar too low. This week I noticed another sign. It says, "Whatever your color you have certain feelings about the others. Recognize them and get rid of them." Village people let you know where they stand. Next, we come to the Village Den, our neighborhood coffee shop for years before it was remade into a vegan/vegetarian cafe. Eating lunch in midtown years ago I recognized the waitress and said to her, "I remember you from the Village Den! My husband had coffee there every day with our son before nursery school." She gave me a long look and said, "I remember your husband--toasted English, butter on the side...

Comments
Post a Comment