First Week of Self Quarantine



The flowering pear trees are in bloom all over the Village.



The daffodils are popping up. Spring is coming, no matter what.



Arthur and I are staying home but also taking long walks. 



A man walked by as I shot this tree and said, "Lovely magnolia--it means hope."

I'm trying to use this quiet time to work but it's hard to settle down and concentrate.
I began one piece but I've already discarded it to started over--the composition was too one-sided.  


So I started looking through old photographs and I've decided to share some happy memories.  My grandfather Swanson, PopPop, worked hard and expected everyone else to do the same, but he also knew how to have fun.  He thought up some wonderful toys, like the Putt-Putt, a little car with a vacuum cleaner motor that we could actually drive.

Here it is in an early stage, with my Dad and Aunt Jan.  Nice hat, huh?


PopPop's company had a fleet of delivery trucks and a body shop so the Putt-Putt soon got a snazzier look.  Here's our whole family at the time; it wasn't quite a station wagon.



This is PopPop and an uncle, doing road repair.  





And here we all are; me, Uncle Dave, Cousins Kathy, Danny, and John,
Brother Robby, Uncle Dan, and PopPop.



And here it is, on the move. That's Henry the dachshund chasing the wheels.


Then the next generation took over.


It was the main entertainment at Jessie's sixth birthday party. 
The gas pedal sometimes got stuck and that made it especially exciting.



Next time I may tell you about PopPop's other magnum opus, the Float.

In the meantime, we'll keep walking. Look who we ran into in Hudson River Park, on a rest break from their long trip north.


As we maintain a physical separation I'm feeling grateful for the telephone and the internet. Do keep in touch and keep washing your hands.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Keeping' on the Sunny Side

Oh, Russell

Summer Reading