More Subway Art



Tom Otterness at the A, C, E, and L Station. at 14th Street and 8th Avenue


Tom Otterness (born 1952) is an American sculptor best known as one of America's most prolific public artists. His sculptures of chubby little creature allude to sex, class, money, and race.




 

   
  










Tom Otterness studied at the Art Students League in 1970, the same time I was there but I don't think our paths crossed.  He would have been 18 and I was 22; a big gap at that age.  Besides, he would have worked in the sculpture studio in the basement, and I in the graphics class on the third floor.
I've found a terrible story in his past that makes me revisit the old saw, 
"Don't get too close to an artist, he might smell bad."  If you look behind the curtain, or more closely at your heroes, you might not like what you see.  It's a twist on "Love the sinner, hate the sin."  
It becomes, "Love the art, beware of the artist."
I'm sorry to know about his misdeeds and I really love his work.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Keeping' on the Sunny Side

Oh, Russell

Summer Reading