Patience and Fortitude




When our beautiful library lions were dubbed Patience and Fortitude it was not meant as a compliment.  Critics thought they lacked regal splendor. Compared with other lions around the world they may seem a little relaxed;


 But I love them just as they are.


My friend, June, reminded me that Fiorello Laguardia, in the midst of the Great Depression, said what was needed to get through that terrible time was

Patience
and Fortitude.

What will it take to get through our present terrible time?  Patience and Fortitude, sure.  What else?
We've been through many crises, and each time we come through we think, well, that's over and we learned how to cope  And then something else happens. 
It reminds me of when Jessie was two and I couldn't get her to leave the playground without a battle when it was time to go home for supper. I hit upon a plan. I said, "I'm leaving now,"  and walked away.  She ran after me crying "Don't leave me!" and I thought, "great, I've solved that one."  the next time I tried it she didn't look up from her sandcastle, she just said, "Bye." 

Each crisis comes with its own challenges. Are patience and fortitude enough for this time?  Some of us are supposed to just stay inside. That doesn't feel like much.  Some of us put themselves at risk to take care of the rest of us.  It's certainly not fair.  What can we do?

I don't have answers but I'm thinking a lot.  In online church Sunday we sang a favorite hymn with these words, that I repeat to myself and share with you;

Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow.


I"m still drawing-I haven't gotten far with the blue stage; my new jar of Winsor Yellow, finally arrived so the sun is coming along--I still don't know what to do with the stage floor.



Taking a break from blue, I started this horizontal stage.  I thought I'd make it all green, but the brown and cream are taking over.  Sometimes it works that way--I lose control for a while.  I'll keep at it and see what happens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Keeping' on the Sunny Side

Oh, Russell

Summer Reading