Another Artist I love; Hilary Knight

 Drawing faces with just lines is hard.  I've studied many who succeed-starting with Durer, 



Hans Holbein the Younger



Rembrandt



Charles Dana Gibson, 



Aubrey Beardsley, well, now that I look at his work, he does what I do--put in lots of texture and pattern so you don't notice that the faces are not all that great.



Mark Summers: This is a portrait of Dr. Seuss.



You see, I've stolen from the very best. A favorite is Hilary Knight, best known for his illustrations for Eloise the waif of the Plaza.

 He won my heart with his illustrations of my edition of Dr. Spock's classic Baby and Child Care.  Dr. Spock marched against the war in Viet Nam, saying,

"What is the use of physicians like myself trying to help parents to bring up children healthy and happy, to have them killed in such numbers for a cause that is ignoble? "

He was a mensch, and he was a big help to me. When I was about to leave the hospital with newborn Jessie the obstetrician and the pediatrician stood in the door of my room and said, "OK, you're on your own now."  

I was terrified. Wait, shouldn't I have to take a test?  Get a license?  

Dr. Spock said,   "Trust yourself, you know more than you think you do." that was a big help.

Here's a picture by Hilary in the chapter about when a new baby comes into the family.  I think he  captures the ambivalence of a big sister--and look at that poor baby brother! 



His work is so expressive and at the same time economical. 
He also did Betty MacDonald's Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, about a magical woman, maybe she's a good witch, who helps parents cure their children of the usual maladies. Here she is


This one is less economical--full of telling details.



Here's the Bully-scary, isn't he?




A little here, a little there and eventually I came up with my own style. I'm still working on my people.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Keeping' on the Sunny Side

Oh, Russell

Summer Reading