Up the Stairs

A few weeks ago I wrote about this staircase I saw in Greece,


And how it just stayed with me until I drew it.


Now that I look at this drawing after about ten years I think it could use some work.

I'm not the only one who loves staircases; my friend, Anne Finkelstein, 

annefinkelstein.com

has done some gorgeous stairs.  She told me,
"I grew up in an apartment and so the first time I ever saw a staircase it seemed magical--
something that could take you to a whole different place."


This is "The Golden Railing"



"Stairway to Heaven"

I see Anne's work every day, because these depictions of the old McBurney YMCA  now hang in the stairway at  the New McBurney Y on 14th Street between Seventh and Sixth Avenues.


Anne has found something sublime in the everyday.

Comments

  1. Those old Grecian stairs should take a lesson from you! Let's assume they were just as gorgeous way back when, as you imagined them to be, you have made those stairs … stare-worthy!
    Well done!🎨🖌 Mara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh, Russell

Come See a Great Show

June 30 Bad News and Good News