The Work Continues

 I'm hard at work on my Saint Barbara project and I have a few works in progress to share.  Nothing is finished but here's what's sitting on my drawing table.


 I did this back before the pandemic, and although it's finished, I'm not really happy with it--too much brown. It needs something to liven it up, and a focal point--what's the point of an empty stage?  

I've tried adding these two hawks; they don't have a lot to do with Barbara's story but I love them and I've been trying for years to find them a home. Maybe they could be guardian figures. Maybe not; I'll keep looking,

 It's not like my pelican who looks like he just flew in the window to it on this table, but he too sat in the flat files for a long time before found the right spot for him.



The Bear and The Bison sat in a folder for years until I applied to a show with a strict size limit and I stuck them on these backgrounds. 


  But the magic doesn't happen every day.  More often I just keep plodding away, making little marks on the paper.  There's the ant and the grasshopper--the diligent worker and the one who waits for a happy accident. 

Maybe the brown stage calls for one of the Barbara's I've been working on. Like her.  She looks like she's dancing, and the tower she's holding could be a cocktail shaker. The other tower features Rapunzel; I'm not sure where I'll put her.


How's this?



I'm going big with Lightning images, thanks to my brother Rob, and photographer Gary Hershorn, whose work I found on Facebook through my friend, Gwyneth Leech.  I reached out to him on Instagram to ask if I could appropriate his work and he was extraordinarily generous--he said, "Sure, go ahead."  So, thank you, Gary, and I suggest everyone else goes to @garyhershorn to see some gorgeous views of our beautiful city.

Here is lightning striking the World Trade Center.  Yes those are the New York Public Library lions and yes, the Saint Barbara story takes place in third century Turkey--anachronistic? 


I'm grateful to the generous friends who have shared ideas-I had no idea Saint Barbara has such universal appeal.  Did you know that the Marines of the 11th Marine Regiment celebrate Saint Barbara's Day? They award the Honorable Order of Saint Barbara to "individuals who have demonstrated the highest standards of integrity and moral character, displayed an outstanding degree of professional competence and served the Artillery with selflessness."

And, if you're standing in the need of prayer, here you go.

Saint Barbara, your courage is much stronger than the forces of hurricane and the power of lightning.
Be always by our side so that we may face all storms, wars, trials and tribulations with the fortitude with which you faced yours.
O Beautiful Maiden once imprisoned in a high tower, protect us from the lightning and fire that rage in the sky and the discord of war.
Keep us alert and protect us from the dangers that surround us.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Keeping' on the Sunny Side

Oh, Russell

Summer Reading