Great Things to Look at

 I hit a nerve last week when I spoke of my fallow period; many of you said you're feeling the same. For my first Wordle guess yesterday I chose allow and then realized if I added an F I'd have fallow.

Then I looked it up, just to be sure I knew what I was talking about.  

 Here's what the dictionary says;

 
"(of farmland) plowed and harrowed but left unsown for a period in order to restore its fertility as part of a crop rotation or to avoid surplus production."
I don't have to worry about surplus production, but restoring fertility sounds like a good. 

Also, "A fallow period of time is one in which very little happens."  

Then I thought of a verse from People Look East, one of my favorite Christmas carols, actually an advent carol, because it's all about getting ready for the coming.

"Furrows be glad when Earth is bare
One more seed is planted there
Give up your strength the seed to nourish
that in time the flower may flourish,
People look east and sing today,
Love, the rose, is on the way."

To change metaphors and call it a dry period, what do you do when the well runs dry? You fill it up. So I  went out for fresh air and something beautiful to look at. I
 got on the subway and the MTA did not let me down--look what I found.



I went to t
he Morgan Library and Museum.



They're showing the work of Hans Holbein. What a show! My friend, David, Called it "sumptuous."

I didn't take many pictures because I wanted to just drink it in.  I'll definitely go back. Look at this gentleman, Derick Berck of Cologne, a Hanseatic merchant.  I like his face--maybe because he's looking right at us. The paper he's holding is a quote from the Aeneid, "Perchance even this distress will someday be a joy to recall." In other words, hang in there. Do try to see this in person; the skin tones alone are astounding and this painting is four hundred and thirty-six years old!!!!


I don't like to find fault but look at his left arm.  Doesn't it look like he has an extra 
joint?  Nice to know that nobody's perfect.  
I was especially in awe of the drawings--the delicate shadings and the psychological acuity.  I feel like I know these people.




The show 
didn't include
 my girl, Lady Cecily He
ron; She lives in the Royal Trust. I hope her Majesty is taking good care of her.


It did include her Dad, Sir Thomas More who's not my favorite because he 
thought it was a good idea to burn people at the stake if they didn't believe as he did.  But anyway, look at those velvet sleeves. And the green drapery.  You really have to get up close; in some places the detail is so fine it seems Mr. Holbein used brushes made with only one hair.





That's only one of the great shows in town this month.  Remember that book, The Hare with Amber Eyes? It's about a collection of Netsuke, those beautiful little carved buttons, hardly bigger than your thumb and absolutely enchanting.  They're at the Jewish Museum.  
Faith Ringgold and her beautiful quilts are at the New Museum.  
New York, New York!  It really is a wonderful town!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Keeping' on the Sunny Side

Oh, Russell

Summer Reading