Presents!

Celebrating in the Village




 Tonight is Christmas Eve Eve and the sixth night of Hannukah!   Are you ready?  Have you done all your shopping and wrapping?

I LOVE wrapping presents. This is our coffee table, all ready for our big day.  I've added an innovation--gift tags!  I used to say, oh, I don't need to label this--I'll remember who this is for and then on Christmas I'd have to open it just a bit to check.  The tags are very helpful.


Don't be too impressed--it's not all it appears.  Here's the real story.


Yes, I wrap up practical gifts like socks but really, what's wrong with a little ceremony and celebration, like clinking glasses and saying Cheers before dinner, even if it's just leftovers on Tuesday? 

And I must say, I give really great socks*.   

There's nothing like the perfect present; like this.


My brother, Alan and his bride, Donna, bought it for me on their honeymoon. It was a mobile with about seven of these charming little ships with walnut shell hulls. I still have two of them. That was decades ago but I'm still touched that they thought of me.  They don't even remember.

What's the best gift you've ever received? I've been blessed with some wonderful gifts of all kinds, like in college when my friend Carol introduced my to the radiograph drafting pen that inspired my love of pen and ink, when Betty introduced me to the novels of Robertson Davies, or when James took me to my first meeting of the New York Artists Circle, but I would have to say that hands down, what first comes to mind is the birthday when Arthur surprised me with



my darling Lucy.  She's now pushing fifteen.  How could the time have flown by so fast?




With a nod to Warren Zevon who said he just wanted to enjoy every sandwich, we're working to make sure that she enjoys every walk and every nap. She definitely enjoys every meal.

So, I hope you get a lot of great presents, and that you give a bunch as well and however you celebrate, made it big. One thing we can celebrate is that we've gotten through this year! 


I went looking for a quote to finish this up and Maya Angelou came through for me;

We need joy as we need air.
We need love as we need water.
We need each other as we need the earth we share.


*This company, Bombas, makes and donates the #'s 1,2,and 3 most requested items at shelters, and give away one item for each one purchased.  And they are really great socks, so give your feet a treat and do good at the same time and go to Bombas . You'll be so glad you did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Keeping' on the Sunny Side

Oh, Russell

Summer Reading